The health benefits of coconut oil include hair care, skin care, stress relief, maintaining cholesterol levels, weight loss, increased immunity, proper digestion and metabolism, relief from kidney problems, heart diseases, high blood pressure, diabetes, HIV and cancer, dental care, and bone strength. These benefits of coconut oil can be attributed to the presence of lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid, and its properties such as antimicrobial, antioxidant, antifungal, antibacterial, soothing, etc.
The current medical research indicates that at least thrity percent (30%) of our diet should be made up of fats. Each fat is not equal, how ever, affecting the body in a different way. coconut oil is generally favorable, and has been shown to create a more favorable hdl/ldl ratio in the body. Coconut oil is a saturated fat, which have been described as having a negative effect on the cholesterol but coconut oil is different from other saturated fats in many ways. Coconut oil is the highest vegan source (62%) of medium chain triglycerides. At least half of these medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) are made up of lauric acid which is the single most important fatty acid in building and maintaining a healthy immune system. The amount of lauric acid in coconut oil is similar to the percentage in breast milk. No other vegetable oil has lauric acid and only milk and butter come close to the percentage, measuring in at 3%!
- The saturated fats in Coconut Oil have antimicrobial properties. Hence, Coconut Oil is highly effective against microbes that cause indigestion
- Moreover, Lauric acid, prominent among the MCFAs present in Coconut Oil has qualities similar to mother's milk.
- When lauric acid enters human body it gets converted to monolaurin, an immunity enhancing compound
- Coconut Oil is healthy because it is predominantly comprised of MCFAs or MCTs that are readily metabolized in the body and converted to energy instantaneously
- Coconut Oil being a naturally saturated oil does not contain any trans fat
- It aids faster absorption of calcium and thereby strengthens bones and teeth
- It does not contain cholesterol (All vegetable oils does not contain cholesterol, but animal fats contain cholesterol e.g.: cow milk, butter, ghee, curd, non-veg foods, etc.)
- Easy digestibility and absorbability
- Ideal energy source in baby foods
- Contains Vitamin E
- Composed mainly of short and Medium Chain Fatty Acids (MCFA) or Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT) that have desirable qualities and functions
- Reduced fat accumulation in body
- Reduces your risk of having heart disease
- Stimulates your metabolism
- Promotes normal thyroid function
- Helps you loose and maintain your ideal body weight
- Kills viruses, bacteria, fungi and protozoa
- Has natural antioxidant properties